Monday, November 10, 2008

Gotch Day and Adoption Day as told by Lillie

Gotcha Day was a little long for me. I rode on a bus for five hours to meet Mom and Dad. The staff told them that the babies were in the elevator and they still had to wait. Mom and Dad went second to pick me up. I went right to Mom and then was relieved to see Dad too. I can walk but I clutch on to both of their shirts so they will carry me. The orphanage director was telling Mom a lot of stuff in Chinese and she looked very confused. Our guide explained that I have a fever and don't feel very good. I have to take medicine and a lot of fluids. After we got back to our hotel, we took a nap and Dad went to KFC with some other dads to bring home mashed potatoes for us. I couldn't wait any longer so I went to sleep and wouldn't take my bottle for mom.

I was feeling better on Adoption Day and Dad learned how to give me a bath. I ate scrambled eggs for breakfast but still won't take a bottle. We had to hurry to get ready and catch the bus at 8:30. It was a little early for my taste. I slept through the night except when Mom and Dad woke me up to give me more medicine. I try to fight it so it is a two person operation. I look a little scared in this picture since I am not sure if Dad knows how to do this or not.

After the bus ride, Mom and Dad had to go to an interview. I was handling everything pretty well until I saw my nanny in the hall way. I tried to go see her but she had to go down the hall and I cried big tear drops. Dad was afraid Mom would start crying and be crying for the interview but it all worked out fine. Mom and Dad passed the interview and we had the Adoption Ceremony. You can see pictures of me below and all my friends who are coming home too!


This is a picture of the guide that is helping Mom and Dad. She takes them everywhere and translates for them. She also arranged for their laundry and a pizza party tonight!
We had to go for another ride on the bus to see the notary and have another interview. When Dad got done, we hung out in the court yard. I still won't drink anything and Mom and Dad are getting worried.




We made one final stop on the bus to eat lunch. Mom and Dad took me to McDonald's to celebrate. I like the french fries a lot just like Mom. My friend, Mattea, delivered the toy in my hand on the day before Mom and Dad flew to China. I have been gripping it since I woke up at 7 a.m. and I won't put it down. I have also been wearing her sweater and the pink shoes that Mom bought for me. We had time to visit Wal-mart and buy a bowl and spoon to make oatmeal and rice cereal tomorrow.


Mom was excited to find out today that the package she sent me in China reached me. My orphanage director gave me a present and gave Mom the two disposable cameras with pictures of me and my friends. Dad thinks I like them a little better since Mom made the Who Loves Baby book and sent it to me ahead of time. I finally gave in and drank all of my apple juice before my nap when we got back to our room. I am a pretty big girl and can hold my own bottle. I also showed Mom and Dad that I could walk when Mom put me down this morning and I ran across the hotel room so Dad could pick me up instead. I am going to keep them very busy. I will write back tomorrow after our city tour.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck being new parents! I found your blog via 'next blog' so I hope you don't mind a stranger commenting here. But you both sound like you will make excellent parents. As an adoptee, it's such a great thing for y'all to experience some of China to be able to tell Lillie about her heritage and place of birth as she grows up. Good luck with everything!

Jodi said...

Awesome post!
Can't wait to hear and see more pictures.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear things are going well. I know these first few days are tough as Lillie grieves, but she will fall in love with you soon.

JOY said...

Hi! You are all so gorgeous! I will have to send G & G to the library again today! They arrived there yesterday before they opened, went to breakfast, and then came back. A Chinese American helped them with the computer. Just imagining them for the very first time sitting in front of a computer and seeing Lillie with you brings tears to my eyes. Have a wonderful day!

MaMa Becki said...

Take a good look at these pictures, you both look sooooo happy, your eyes dancing with delight. I seem to have lots of tears, but they are all because I am soooo happy and proud. You two are definately going to be great parents and Lillie is one very lucky and loved little girl. I hope you are giving her a kiss everyday from me and telling her how much we all love her!

Tracy said...

I agree with everyone - you both look so happy! I am thrilled for you. This is just the beginning of such an incredible journey!!

I am glad that Lilllie finally drank juice and hopefully she continues to drink fluids and to feel better. Lillie sure is adorable!

Tracy

Darcy said...

Wow, she is adorable. Do you know why she was running a fever? Hopefully, she continues to feel better and drinks lots. The way it sounds she knows how to push mom and dad's buttons already. I think she is going to be a daddy's girl! I'll check back later for more updates. Take care. Darcy

mom and dad said...

Lillie, we couldn't wait to see how you are doing. So cute in the bath. Mom and dad are taking good care of you and we love your pics.
Gr.Freeda is at Aunt Delta's looking at you. Gr.says not to tell mom, but he is looking for you a pink race car. Sleep well.
We love you.
Grs.June & Larry

Shelle said...

Hi guys! The photos are wonderful- you look like naturals!

Sounds a lot like what we experienced with Mattea except she wouldn't let Tim hold her (until we got home) or look at her for a couple of days. We even had the same nanny experience in the hall after Mattea had finally calmed down and then again the next day when we had to go sign the adoption paperwork. She also didn't take a bottle (not even juice) until day 3, I was so stressed about it. Our guide was the one who actually got her to take water out of a bottle cap by saying "he sui" (spelling?) pronounced basically "huh swee". Mattea says to say "Lillie bu cu" (boo koo)- that's her wisdom, maybe she knows something. She's loving all of the photos of you guys (mostly just Air-ron now so go figure) and telling me all of the things she's going to do for Lillie when she comes over to play.

Hope everything continues smoothly and Lillie will take a bottle soon. We'll be thinking of you and checking in regularily.

Michelle

Cheryl said...

Cindy, I'm enjoying your blog so much!! Lillie is absolutely adorable -- she looks so tiny!! I can't wait to meet her in person and hear all about your trip. Enjoy yourselves!!!
Hugs,
Cheryl